Toughest ride of the year..... but one of the best!
This ride had three routes to choose from, 10, 40 or 75 miles. Last year I did the 40 and after my experience last week I decided to do the longer route. MBBC had a large turnout on this one, Lisa rode the 10 mile route, Danny and Michelle rode the 40, and Nathan, Burt, Tracy, Eric and I rode the 75! The long route circles Possum Kingdom Lake, rewarding us with some incredible views.
I was with the lead pack for the first 8 miles and but got dropped on the first large hill. I stopped at the first rest stop at the 17 mile mark and meet up with Tracy and Eric. The three of us rode together for the next 25 miles. Then came the BIG HILLS!
We had been going up some small to moderate rollers almost the entire first half of the ride, but the next 25 miles made the first part seem flat! It started just after rest stop #2. The Hills were just never ending. The last half consisted of two walls, several large rollers and a steep mile and a half long climb to the finish.
It was an extremely tiring and difficult route, but I did manage to complete it..... 75 miles in 4 hours 59 Minutes with an average of 15 mph. Not my best average, but considering the terrain, I was happy just to finish. It was by far the most difficult route that I have done and it was also longest distance I ever ridden.
After the ride we headed to the Ticket tent for some, well deserved, free Pasta and Beer.
Next stop Wichita Falls!
-blanca

Post a Comment
<< Blog Home